Sunday, January 26, 2014

Where Did Everybody Go?

Most of my readers vanished a few weeks ago.

Somehow, for reasons I cannot discover, my readership dropped from about 80 to 100 per post to 10 to 20 per post.

Where did you all go?

This year, I've been going through one of those 'should I keep doing this' phases that most of us go through from time to time .  I was planning on hanging up my hat for good after the TBR Triple Dog Dare ends on April 1.  But to suddenly drop to readership levels I had back during my first year was something of a shock.

An unpleasant shock.

In the course of trying to figure out what happened, I visited Wordpress.com where many of you keep your blogs.  Checking it out was kind of fun.

So, I'm not giving up blogging, I'm just moving to Wordpress.com

I'm at jamesreadsbooks.com from now on.

Please update your readers, etc. as needed.  I'm also on Facebook and I just started using Twitter under my full name jamesbchester so please feel free to look for me there.

I may continue double posting both here and at Jamesreadsbooks.com for a while, just in case people wonder where I am and stop by this site, and the TBR Triple Dog Dare will still run from the page here at Ready When You Are, C.B. until the first of April.  I'll have to post a link over on my new blog as soon as I figure out how to do it.  (I'm actually having fun trying to figure out how everything works over at Wordpress.com.  Yes, I'm a nerd.  I confess.  I even own four seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Four complete seasons.)

I tried importing my posts from Ready When You Are, C.B., but without success. I think it'll be fun to start the whole thing over and see what happens now that I have a better idea what I'm doing than I did all those years ago when this blog started.

That's all for today.  I'm still working on adding you all to my blog roll over at James Reads Books so please don't think I've forgotten anyone.  I should have it all up and running at full speed soon.

See you at James Reads Books.

7 comments:

Teresa said...

I'm not sure why, but your blog hasn't been showing up in my feed reader regularly, but when I come to the actual page, I see there are posts. I only saw this post because I realized I hadn't seen any posts from you for a while. So maybe something has gone wonky with the feed. (I have only a dim notion of how all that works, but it's not happening with other blogs I follow.)

At any rate, I'm glad you're not giving up blogging entirely, and I've added your new address to my feed reader :)

James Chester said...

I had heard that from Sandy a few weeks ago. I've looked over Blogger again and again and cannot find any hints about what's going on.

So, I'm off to Wordpress.

JoAnn said...

I've been away for a few weeks, but didn't see any of your posts in my feed reader when I got back. Like Teresa, I found them when I visited your actual page.

Will add your new blog to my reader and keep my fingers crossed

James Chester said...

Thanks JoAnn. I hope everyone finds me again.

Bellezza said...

When I saw your comment on Great Expectations I thought, "Who is this wise soul?" Then when I clicked your link I saw it was you, and this post helps me understand the change. It's disheartening to see the fluctuation in readers. I was told by BlogHer that I wouldn't be a good match for them, so fine...after pouting for two weeks (and writing my post in Belonging) I decided that I blog for me anyway, and whoever cares to join in. I really liked being on WordPress as many bloggers are. The reason I went back to Blogger was WordPress had a dashboard that told me in my face how many links/visitors/clicks and I was focusing too much on that. Well, here's a comment much longer than anyone needs to know, but I'm happy for your new adventure on a different platform and I've updated my Blogroll with your new home.

gaskella said...

See you over on WP!

gautami tripathy said...

I know how it feels to lose a blog. I tried importing to wordpress but like you I was lost too. I used to back up my blog but have fallen behind. Taking a cue from you, I am going to do that again. I have visited your wordpress blog and will add that to my feed reader.