Monday, January 6, 2014

Deal Me In!

One of my long-time blogging friends Gautami Tripathy pointed me towards a reading challenge in a comment yesterday.  I was whining about how few people seem to participate in reading challenges these days, usually complaining that they never finish them as though we will all be graded on this and no one wants to risk lowering their overall G.P.A.

I say signing up for challenges and making your reading list is not just half the fun, it can sometimes be all the fun you need at the moment.

So, I'm signing up for the Deal Me In short story reading challenge at Bibliophilopolis.

The idea is to select 52 short stories and assign each one to a card in a deck of cards.  Each week you draw a random card and read that story until you have read all 52, hopefully by the end of the year at the rate of one story a week, but who cares about that.

I won't be cheating the TBR Triple Dog Dare because I still have lots of short story anthologies on my TBR shelves from back in the day when I ran a Short Story Monday feature each week.

Here's my list of stories.  (I'm cheating a little by including some essays by George Orwell. I've had this anthology of his for some time now, and his essays are really good.)

Hearts

2.  “Ghosts” by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
3.  “The Thing Around Your Neck”  by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
4.   “The Arrangers of Marriage” by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
5.   “The Night in Question” by Tobias Wolff
6   “The Life of the Body” by Tobias Wolff
7   “The Other Miller” by Tobias Wolff
8. “Bullet in the Brain” by Tobias Wolff
9.  “The Two Lives of Consuela Castanon” by John Hersey
10.  “A Game of Anagrams” by John Hersey
Jack.  “Page Two” by John Hersey
Queen.   “To the End of the American Dream” by John Hersey
King.  “The Wedding Dress” by John Hersey
Ace.  “The Private Life” by Henry James

Diamonds

2.  “The Next Time” by Henry James
3.  “The Figure in the Carpet” by Henry James
4.  “John Delavoy” by Henry James
5   “Raffles and Miss Blandish” by George Orwell
6   “Marrakech” by George Orwell
7.  “Inside the Whale” by George Orwell
8.  “England Your England” by George Orwell
9   “Boy’s Weeklies” by George Orwell
10.  “The Pale Pink Roast” by Grace Paley
Jack.  “An Interest in Life” by Grace Paley
Queen. “In Time Which Made a Monkey of Us All” by Grace Paley
King. “Faith in the Afternoon” by Grace Paley
Ace.  “Living” by Grace Paley

Spades

2.  “Come On, Ye Sons of Art” by Grace Paley
3.  “Enormous Changes at the Last Minutes” by Grace Paley
4   “The Long-Distance Runner” by Grace Paley
5   “In This Country, but in Another Language, My Aunt Refuses to Marry the Men Everyone Wants her To” by Grace Paley
6.   “Mother” by Grace Paley
7   “Zagrowsky Tells” by Grace Paley
8.   “The Dreaming Child” by Isak Dinesen
9.   “The Fish” by Isak Dinesen
10.   “Peter and Rosa” by Isak Dinesen
Jack.  “Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman” by Haruki Murakami
Queen.   “A Perfect Day for Kangaroos” by Haruki Murakami
King.   “Man-Eating Cats” by Haruki Murakami
Ace.   “The Year of Spaghetti” by Haruki Murakami

Clubs.
 
2.  “The Rise and Fall of Sharpie Cakes” by Haruki Murakami
3.  “Firefly” by Haruki Murakami
4   “The Lady in the Lake” by Raymond Chandler
5.   “No Crime in the Mountains” by Raymond Chandler
6.   “Trouble is my Business” by Raymond Chandler
7.   “Red Wind” by Raymond Chandler
8.   “A Canary for One” by Ernest Hemingway
9.  “A Natural History of the Dead” by Ernest Hemingway
10.   “A Prince of Thirteen Days” by Alaya Dawn Johnson
Jack.  “The Sages of Elsewhere” by Will Shetterly
Queen.  “Our Stars, Our Selves” by Tim Pratt
King.  “The Wall” by Delia Sherman
Ace.  “A Tangle of Green Men” by Charles de Lint

Now all I need is a deck of cards.  I think I have around here someplace.....

4 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

James, you explained it all very well. I was thinking how to go about it. I have read two short stories but did not how to categorize.

I too have quite a lot of anthologies so as not to cheat on the TBR triple Dog Dare. (Not that you would come to Delhi to beat me up, if I did that!!)

You know what? I miss your Short Story Monday feature!! Maybe you should consider doing that again here and/or on FB. You can open up a group there and I will help you in spreading the word!

James Chester said...

I will have my first Deal Me In post up tomorrow. I had so much fun writing it today that I think I will be doing it on a regular basis for a while at least. Thanks again for pointing me towards the Deal Me In challenge.

bibliophilica said...

Hi James,
Glad to hear that you'll be participating in "DMI2014!" (to whatever degree you decide).

I've come to really look forward to my weekly routine of drawing a card and reading a short story.

I look forward to reading your first post.

-Jay

Sandy Nawrot said...

(Post #4) Well damn, you are ambitious. Plus those books, those aren't necessarily easy reading books. Most I haven't read and some I haven't even heard of. The collection of Murakami short stories, Blind Willow Sleeping Woman vexed me. I tried to listen to it on audio and it just didn't work. I guess I needed a warm up to his style.